Hero Bride

I was very impressed with my sister-in-law who got married this last weekend.

Often times the bride and groom are so focused on each other and all the attention thrown at them, that its hard to watch out for others.

In particular, kids seem to get overlooked when it comes to weddings. (By everyone except the parents who walk around with a look of horror on their face the whole time.) Everything about weddings is so formal, and kids are not.

My middle son was looking and pointing at the wedding cake, when a concerned adult, worried he was going to touch it, warned him not to touch it. T is very sensitive. Especially when he interprets that he is being yelled at for something he didn't do or wasn't going to do.

To cool down, he went outside the building, which prompted more well-meaning adult attention. It took him a while to get over his hurt and frustration.

About an hour later, when the bride found out what happened, she demonstrated that her love of people overshadows high-and-mighty society's demand for formality. She took T to the wedding cake and said, "I want you swipe some frosting with your finger."

T hesitated as if contemplating whether it was a trap or not. After judging that she was serious, and that he had permission from the 'owner' of the event to do the thing he resisted the temptation of doing earlier, he quickly swiped his finger and received his reward for doing the right thing in the beginning amidst false accusations.

I don't know what his aunt did with the 'swiped' piece of cake. Maybe she ate it herself...but I do know that she loved my son enough to give some special attention he needed in her own special way.

For that show of love combined with other acts of selflessness that day, she is a Hero in my book.

Comments

Leslie said…
Hi, I'm CoconutKate's mom. Hurray for your sister-in-law! Sometimes we adults forget they are children and not just little adults. This will be a memory your son will keep and he will love his aunt that much more.
John Andersen said…
That is an awesome gesture. I remember painfully feeling the injustice of false accusations when I was a kid. I was a really responsible individual, and when I was accused of something I didn't do, it tore me apart.

That is a pretty amazing story!
Anonymous said…
that is a great story! i agree that she's a hero :)

Popular posts from this blog

Let them be little

What could be better than a free pet?

School Picture Time...