Summer is winding down...

and the time for school to begin is rapidly approaching. In preparation I have been shopping for school supplies.
I remember when #1 started Kindergarten. It was so exciting going out and shopping for just the right things for school. I made sure the scissors, pencils, etc. were his favorite colors; paid the higher price to get crayola crayons and markers and lovingly wrote his name in permanent marker on each of his school supplies. I loved how excited he was to see the brand new crayons, markers and other supplies that were just for him.
A few days before school was supposed to start, we gathered up all the school supplies and went down to meet the teacher and drop off the supplies. Imagine my dismay when we were greeted by the sight of a long table with plastic bins on it. We were told to sort our supplies into the various bins. That's right, Kindergarten is essentially communism. Everything was going to be shared. I had wasted my time writing #1's name on the supplies, and I had wasted money buying the nicer supplies that would most likely be distributed to someone else's child. It was a huge disappointment. I suppose that the kids that have parents who can't afford school supplies or don't care enough to buy them won't have to feel bad under this system.
At the end of that school year none of the school supplies were returned. I can't help but wonder why they have to ask the kids to each bring a pair of scissors every year. What are they doing with them at the end of the year?!
Since then we have moved and live in a small town. Unfortunately communism at school rules here for the first couple of years also. I suppose I should take some comfort in getting a Ziploc baggie at the end of the year with various unmatched half dry markers, a bottle of glue, stubs of crayons and a pair of scissors that someone else's mother paid for. I thought you might be interested in the list of what we needed to get for Kindergarten this year for #4. I included their underlines where applicable.

2 boxes of Crayola crayons (16 ct.)
8 white glue sticks
1 box Prang or Crayola Water Color Paints
6 plain yellow wooden pencils #2
2 dry erase fine tip makers (black)
Washable Markers (2 boxes of 8)
2 2" three-ring binder (for memory book and alphabet book)
1 box of tissues
1 disposable camera
Baby Wipes (2 Box)
Waterless Hand Sanitizer (2 Bottles)
Graham, Goldfish or Soda Crackers, or Pretzels
I wonder how upset they are going to be when I shake things up by bringing 11 ct washable markers. Maybe I should take some markers out so that there are only 16 total. I wouldn't want to upset any delicate balance.
I actually find the disposable camera to be a weird request. I know they will probably use them all to get pictures for the memory books, but in my experience those disposables don't generally take great pictures. That one being on the list was a first for us this year. I wonder why a camera is more important to have as a school supply than a pair of scissors...(maybe they kept last year's scissors and are doing their part to keep them out of the landfill.)
So, what is the weirdest thing you have seen on a school supply list?



Comments

SoDak Angel said…
That is a boat load of supplies....sheesh.

Popular posts from this blog

Let them be little

What could be better than a free pet?

School Picture Time...