School...

#3 commented the other day that he wished that school was only one day a week. He decided that Wednesday would be the best day for this (interestingly enough, Wednesday is the shortest school day of the week here. They get out of school a whole 40 minutes earlier than on the other days.)
For some reason he has just been having a difficult time with school lately. I personally think it is just the rapid approach of summer. Everyone gets a little bit tired of being cooped up inside this time of year.
I had to drop something off at the school the other day and #3's Teacher saw me there and took me aside to talk to me. She was concerned because she said #3 called her evil. I told her I would talk to him about it. Later that day I asked him if he had called his teacher evil. He immediately said no. Then he paused, and said, "I didn't call her evil. I wrote it down." Apparently he wrote it down in reading class (which he has a different teacher for) and another kid told the teacher about it. I feel bad for his teacher. But honestly I think he has just heard me or his brothers say things are evil too many times. You know how sometimes a day just really sucks? I guess I have been known to say that it was an evil day that day, or that the preschoolers I tried to teach were acting evil. I think maybe I will have to be more careful of how I express my frustrations in the future. I hope we can all hold out until summer when he will suddenly have fond memories of school and his Teacher, and we can all relax a little bit.

Comments

Scribbit said…
Yea, my fourth grader is having a rocky time of it too.

We're down to the last three weeks and counting . . .
Scribbit said…
I wanted to say thanks for your comment and for your perspective. I worry about posting my opinions on issues for fear of offending but I'm glad you feel comfortable enough to say "have you thought of this?"

And yes, when children have special needs there should be special circumstances and special rules to fit their circumstances.

My sister's family works very differently from mine (she too has an autistic son, though he's profoundly autistic) but they're happy and well, just different from us and we have a great time together :)

I suppose I was thinking mostly about a certain friend of mine who constantly says, "how do you get your kids to do their homework??"

I never have the guts to say, "You're doing too much for your boys, back off and let them make a few mistakes now and then and they'll get the idea." She tends to hover and it isn't helping things. But it's not really my place to tell her that. Especially because she's such a great mother and I don't want to make her think I'm critical of her style.

Popular posts from this blog

Let them be little

What could be better than a free pet?

School Picture Time...