Summertime Tip

We live at the coast. Incidentally, we occasionally go to the beach, and usually end up tracking a lot of sand back to the car. It got to the point that I didn't look forward to going to the beach anymore because our van was getting so much sand inside, and our attempts to keep the sand out just weren't that effective.
Then I got an idea. I really should credit my Dad for the idea, since he inspired it in the first place.
My solution to the sand problem, is a garden sprayer. We went out and bought a one gallon yard and garden sprayer for less than $10.00. Its the kind that has a handle to pump it up with air, and then it has a hose and a nozzle, and you usually use them to spray chemicals on your plants. They have a nice adjustable spray so you can have a lighter mist, or a heavier stream. Now we just fill it up before we go to the beach, and when we are done we can spray the sand off of our hands, feet, and shoes. Since we bought our sprayer new, we don't have to worry about chemicals and what-not. It has only ever held water. Now we keep it in the van all the time. In addition to beach duty, you can use it for emergency hand washing, showers and/or washing and rinsing dishes when camping, an impromptu cool down on a hot day, a good way to wash mud and dirt off of your shoes after a hike, or just an advantage in a water fight. There are many ways to use them. I recommend carrying an extra gallon of water in your vehicle if you have a large family like we do. That way you can refill the sprayer if you run out of water, or you can always splurge and get a larger sized sprayer. When I was in my late teens we used a three gallon one in place of a shower for a while. (Thus the credit to my Dad). It wasn't convenient, but it got the job done. For me, I am looking forward to less sand in the van this summer, and more fun as a family!

Comments

Julie Q. said…
What a clever idea! I'll have to try this for our sandbox cleanups. Hmmm maybe the sprayer could serve double duty as a means of scaring the stray cats out of our sandbox too. Does that make me a bully?

Popular posts from this blog

Let them be little

What could be better than a free pet?

School Picture Time...