Getting married is a big decision

#4 was asking about names today. He asked me what his second name is and I told him and explained to him that his middle name was named after his Daddy. He then asked what Daddy's second name is. I told him, and explained that Daddy's middle name was named after Grandpa L, who is Daddy's Daddy. #4's eyes got big and he said.
Daddy is a Daddy, AND Grandpa is a Daddy? I said yes. Then he asked me, "So who is our Grandma then?" This began a discussion about how Grandpa L and Grandma used to be married, and they had four kids. Then I had to explain that they decided they didn't want to be married anymore, so they went their separate ways and Grandma eventually married Grandpa D. #4 thought about this for a while and then said.
"So when I marry Kajsa, I won't like her anymore?" (Kajsa is a friend of his from church who he has plans to marry "when she is a grown up, and I am a grown up." I explained to him that when people get married, they want to be together forever, but it doesn't always work out that way for everyone. I told him he needs to make sure to marry someone he will want to be with forever.
"I want to marry you, and ONLY you!" He said.
"So you don't want to marry Kajsa?" I asked.
"But I want to be with you forever!" was his reply.
I explained that he couldn't marry me, but that he could feel free to live in the same town when he grows up and that he can visit me every day. Then he asked me if I was going to have a dog when he is a grown up. (He has a huge fear of dogs of every kind). I assured him that I won't ever have a dog, and he seemed to feel better.
For now, I am going to enjoy this time of life when he wants to be with me forever, and I will try not to think about his teen years when he won't be able to wait to move out.

Comments

Scribbit said…
That's a sweet conversation. The kind that make you want to hug them forever. A child's loyalty is so touching.

Popular posts from this blog

Let them be little

What could be better than a free pet?

School Picture Time...