The Cake...



Well...Here is a photo of the lightsaber cake, such as it is. Its actually more of a lightsaber dessert. #3 wanted a double sided lightsaber like Darth Maul has in Episode I because, of course, double sided lightsabers are the coolest. The blade part of the lightsaber is made out of Rice Krispy treats. I made a double batch, and filled a 9x13 inch
pan with them so that the Rice Krispies were extra deep. Then I cut three equal pieces of Rice Krispy treats lengthwise in the pan. I actually only used two of these pieces, because that is what would fit on my board. In the middle I used five Hostess Ding Dongs for the handle. I used melted chocolate to attach the power switches (Sweettarts) on the handle. After I had the handle in place I placed the Rice Krispy treat pieces one on each side. I buttered my hands a little bit and squeezed the treats into a more rounded, and longer shape. Then I covered the Rice Krispy portion of the lightsaber with red fruit roll ups. The "glow" on the sides of the blades was made using fruit by the foot, which currently comes in precut zip shapes. The nice thing is that you could easily change the blade color by using a different color of fruit roll ups, and you could get fancier with the handle as well. Another idea I had was to make individual lightsabers using oreos for the handle and doing smaller versions of the blade. #3 wanted a cake that would take up most of the table though, so we opted for the larger version. First attempts never look as good as I envision they will but #3 was happy with it, and that is what I was hoping for when I came up with the idea.

Comments

carrie said…
WoW! That cake is super. I once attempted a poke'ball cake. Your lightsaber cake is way more impressive.

Popular posts from this blog

Let them be little

What could be better than a free pet?

School Picture Time...